Air Berlin insolvency proceedings were initiated on November 1th. Other airlines, as Lufthansa, offer air passengers whose return flights were cancelled new tickets at half price.
Where and how can consumers assert their claims?
Consumers can assert their claims under the scope of the current insolvency procceedings. The requests must be submitted to the insolvency administrator until 1st February 2018.
The following information must be provided:
- Justification (e. g. cancellation of flight)
- Flight details (booking number, date of flight…)
Consumers, however, have only limited chance to get refund.
Who may benefit from advantageous offers for a new return flight?
Lufthansa, Eurowings, SWISS and Austrian Airlines offer new tickets for return flights at preferential terms. The offer is valid under certain circumstances:
- The tickets must be booked prior to 15th August 2017 (date of insolvency application by Air Berlin).
- The cancelled return flight should have taken place between 28th October and 15th November 2017.
- The lower prices are not applicable for German domestic flights.
Please take into consideration: Air passengers have to book the new tickets directly on the website of the airline. The flights must be carried out by the airline itself and not by a subcontractor. Air passengers have to submit both tickets (the old and the new one) to obtain refund of half amount of the gross price. The request of refund has to be submitted to the airline until 15th December 2017. Please find further information the website of Lufthansa.